Friday 15 July 2011

The mystery of red light ignorance

The Dunwich Dynamo is tomorrow, but rather than blog about that, something else has caught my attention, particularly over the last week.

My morning commute consists of a 3.7 mile cycle from Battersea (South Chelsea, as I like to call it) to Tottenham Court Road. I have done this route virtually every day for the last 2 months, and in my opinion, I now feel I know the dangerous areas/"hot spots" (i.e - junctions, corners etc) along the way.

Before I continue, I want to point out that I am no angel at all when it comes to stopping at each and every red light that captures me to and from work, having said that, at no point would I jump a red light at particular points on my route, most notably Vauxhall roundabout. But be assured, in no way, am I about to preach about the green cross code and how cyclists should obey it.

But over the last few weeks, I have come across some real Kamikaze cyclists, that seem happy to put their life on the line for the reward of gaining a few extra meters/seconds on those that are willing to sit safely in the green cycle bay, awaiting the prestigious green light. There are a couple of instances where I could probably understand this type of decision making -

1. Your wife is pregnant and you need to get to the hospital
2. England are beating Germany 2-1 in the World cup final with 89 minutes gone and you need to get home to watch the boys lift the trophy (in this instance I'd have to ask, why you were out and about in the first place)
3. Dodgy stomach - enough said (although this is only a reasonable one, should the issue have come about whilst on your journey, if not - stay at home)

Unfortunately, when I recently confronted a fellow cyclist/commuter, who must have been colour blind, considering he had cycled through every single red light that faced him along the route, he gave me none of the above. He just turned to me and grunted, in an almost arrogant way.

This is my point. Before I started cycling in London, I heard numerous stories of the perils of cycling around such a congested place, such as cyclists being knocked off bikes, run over by the evil white van drivers etc. I acknowledge there are times when there is nothing a cyclist can do about being injured/hit by vehicles, but of the incidents I have seen so far, virtually all have been at busy crossings.

As a result, I have started to ask myself, are a growing proportion of these incidents down to cyclists pushing the odds too far, by not paying attention or going through one too many reds? And are the people typically involved in incidents (not necessarily incidents involving injury), those that seem especially keen to get too work a minute earlier? Apologies if this appears to be completely arrogant of me to ask those questions, but I genuinely want to know the answers.

I absolutely love cycling around London, and yes I have had a couple of "near misses" but as I put more and more miles under my belt, I have begun to form the opinion that many newcomers (to London and to cycling) are perhaps put off cycling around London because of stories founded on incidents involving cyclists that dont see the dangers of jumping one too many red lights.

Readers, your thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. The biggest danger with jumping red lights is to the lemmings who follow. The 1st jumper will have calculated the risk, the lemmings have'nt.

    By jumping red lights you are putting others at risk - however Darwinian it may be.

    This is an example of a pedestrian lemming.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vSaZKk_nzMM

    enjoy DD19

    ReplyDelete